Hi all. I've ploughed through the documentation
regarding persistent db connections under mod_perl,
but I guess I'm not properly understanding just what
is meant by persistent connection.

The scenario I have is a simple CGI script running
under Apache::Registry. I added Apache::DBI to
httpd.conf to buy the app ssome persistent
connections. The app consists of a single script that
makes one connection to MySQL.

It is my understanding that when the app is running
and I look at the status under MySQL, that I should
see only one connection. However, what I see is plenty
of connections, as many as there were before I added
Apache::DBI to the mix.

Now, the script fetches and parses html docs and calls
itself for each image in the doc etc. What I'm seeing,
typically, is the same number of connections to MySQL
as there are images in the document.

Which leads me to think that "persistent" means that,
if a single script makes multiple connect requests
(with the same parameters), a single connection will
be utilized. But if multiple instances of the script
are active, each instance/process will be generating
connections.

Would this be correct?

Enlightenment much appreciated
wayne