Hi,
I am running a hosting service, and I use mod_perl to filter pages and add
banners.  For my paid users, I would like to offer the option of using
.htaccess files for password protection, but I can't afford to check these
files on every hit, only hits to paid sites.  I can determine if the user is
paid with a couple of lines of perl, but I don't know how to get apache to
only authenticate in those cases, and otherwise to ignore the existence of
.htaccess files.  Does any mod_perl guru out there have some insight on
this?