> > > When I first started, it did not seem to be using gcc, so I renamed
> > > /usr/ucb/cc to cc.default, and make /usr/ucb/cc a link to gcc.

Please don't do that - switch it back and just make sure gcc is somewhere on
your path.

> Please note that the same compiler must be used to build Perl and mod_perl,

Not so.  gcc should work just fine.  The problem is that when perl is
configured and built, it saves the compiler name and flags in Config.pm.  We
build Solaris with the Workshop compilers, and therefore subsequent attempts
to build modules (e.g. mod_perl) also try to use the same compiler.  A
workaround is to modify /usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/Config.pm so it
contains the correct information (flags etc) for gcc rather than Workshop.
I've attached a sample Config.pm that should work with the copy of gcc that
is shipped on the Solaris 8 companion cd.  I suggest you move the standard
Config.pm somewhere safe and use the attached file in its place.  There are
only 4 differences between it and the standard Config.pm.

I'm working on something a little cleaner for Solaris 9, probably requiring
you to set PERL5LIB to point perl to a gcc-ized version of Config.pm, rather
than the standard one.

As an aside, Solaris 8 comes with prebuilt versions of Apache and mod_perl,
so unless you need the latest and greatest you might find it easiest to use
the bundled versions - see 'man apache' for details.

Alan Burlison
Solaris Kernel Development, Sun Microsystems

Config.pm.gz