Hi there,

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Nick Tonkin wrote:

> > Somehow they are not getting setup right.
>
> Yeah, no kidding, Joe.

He's only trying to help.  :)

> Anyone have any ideas how to set things up right?

Well it's a long shot from a great distance, but I wonder if you have
compiled everything as root.  My experience is that if you do that you
can run into problems later on when recompiling or adding new goodies,
and sometimes it's sooner not later...

If my guess is right I'd suggest that you wipe everything that you
built when logged in as root (and which doesn't need root permissions
to be built) and reinstall the sources for everything in the home
directory of a non-privileged user, while logged in as that user.
Only use the root account when you need to, for example 'make install'.
It sometimes takes a few goes to get the hang of doing things in quite
the right way for your system.

Are you using bleeding-edge stuff at all?  If so then I'd also suggest
not doing that unless you have to.  Sorry, I came into this thread
late so forgive me if I missed something.

73,
Ged.