i may be wrong about this, but since the file is actually part of the POST,
apache cannot start returning something for that request before the request
has been finished.  You can get around this, kind of, using a JS popup
onsubmit, that opens a window that somehow lets you check the status of the
post (maybe).  I've seen little popups with animated "loading" gif's and the
like, but that's about it.

adam