the guide is your friend:
http://perl.apache.org/guide

http://thingy.kcilink.com/modperlguide/porting/BEGIN_blocks.html

>         Another problem is when I try to build a SELECT HTML element with a
> call to
>         the CGI module. In my anonymous block all of a sudden the HTML form
> variables
>         are no longer available with the CGI::param call.  Yet I can build the
> select                  element later in the cgi scripts using the same variables
> without a problem.

the above is not clear.

>         In a simpler line, should I have a use DBI() in startup.pl as well as
> the
>         PerlModule Apache::DBI in httpd.conf?

you really only need one or the other.  not sure if one is preferable with
Apache::DBI.

http://thingy.kcilink.com/modperlguide/config/PerlModule_and_PerlRequire_Direc.html

>         I will summarize and post responses.

not necessary.  as you can see, the guide is a professional job
of summarizing these types of questions.  i think you'll find it invaluable.
there is also a book by the author of mod_perl:
http://www.modperl.org/

if you want to do any serious mod_perl programming, you probably should read
through both.

--
___cliff [EMAIL PROTECTED]http://www.genwax.com/