Hi

I don't know anything about your problem. I just wanted to give you a
hint, as you said, that you were a complete linux newbie:

Do not work as root. It is dangerous! The root account should be for
installation, configuration of the system and where it cannot be
avoided. I always have some regular user account for working on my
servers and as soon that I want to change something I do a "su". The
best is even to disable root logins on the console and especially via
ssh / telnet. It gives you some extra security as everyone knows, that
there must be a root account on a unix box.

Best regards and enjoy linux!

Marcel

PGP / GPG Key:  http://www.ncpro.com/GPG/mmweber-at-ncpro-com.asc