We are currently using squid set up as a reverse proxy to accelerate
several heavy backends (mod_perl, etc) and to protect them from slow
client connections.

I am looking into replacing the squid with apache+mod_proxy. Why?
Because ultimately I'd like to be able to cluster the frontend using
mod_backhand + wackamole. The primary reason for clustering isn't for
load-balancing (yet) but for failover handling. So, ideally, one machine
should be enough to serve the whole server load.

Speaking of load, the squid (2.3.STABLE1) is currently doing up to 80
requests per second at a cache hit ratio of around 72%. This is on one
box, a Dual 500MHz Pentium III with 1GB RAM. Average object size is 6KB.
200/304 ratio is around 5/3.

Now, I've tried to replace the squid with apache+mod_proxy (1.3.11) and
the frontend very quickly came to a standstill. I set MaxClients to 256
but all slots filled up fast. I upped MaxClients to 512 (recompiled with
patched httpd.h) but the result was the same. All slots were occupied in
no time and the server ground to a halt.

Now I'm left with two choices: give up or try harder :-)

Before I decide for one of them I thought I'd ask on the lists (sorry
for the x-post) to see if the above numbers (80 Hits/Second) are in fact
feasible with apache/mod_proxy on one box. Are there any benchmarks
around? Does someone have a similar setup and how many requests can they
serve?  Should I up MaxClients any further? Will I get better results
using a newer version of apache? Or should I give up and stick with
squid?

TIA for your input.