Sreeji K Das wrote:
> Thanx for the reply (I hardly get replies for subjects
> with restart :-( I guess I'm the only one using
> PerlFreshRestart (sic !).

Hopefully you are the only one!

> My requirement is to do a neat kill of children and
> then do a complete restart. I don't want any existing
> connections to be terminated abruptly.

I've done this in a load-balanced cluster by stopping all traffic to the
machine I want to restart, allowing current requests to finish, and then
restarting it.  It would be nice to have a "graceful shutdown" option
though.

> Also I want a
> complete restart (ie. any modified files should be
> loaded - using Apache::Reload/StatINC does a lot of
> stat()'s & further each children would get a separate
> copy).

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure PerlFreshRestart will not result
in as much shared memory as an actual restart.  How does your shared
memory look after a clean restart vs. a PerlFreshRestart?

> Restart was working perfectly until mod_perl-1.19.

Maybe for you.  For many people it resulted in unexplained segfaults and
closure problems in CPAN modules.  It's just not a very safe thing to do.

> After that a lot has changed. Now I have fixed a lot
> in mod_perl to get Restart fully working.

You can send your patches to the dev list.  However, most effort is
focused on getting mod_perl 2 out right now.

- Perrin