* [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-04-22 09:53]:
> >> The fact is that developers in my team have Apache under /usr/local in
> >> Linux machines, but we would prefer to develop as normal users, not as
> >> www or nobody, though that will be the user in production.
>
> See the section on configuring Apache using <Perl> sections in the
> eagle book. I normally use the approach of having each user's
> .*profile export APACHE_PORT and using $Port = $ENV{APACHE_PORT} or
> croak "$$: Environment missing APACHE_PORT"; for the user's config
> files. Using the "nobody" approach works well enough, but the separate
> ports allow developers to have their own server on a high-numbered
> port w/o stepping on one another.

I like using something like the user's UID as the port on which to start
Apache; with bash, at least, UID is automatically set.  If not,
something like:

  : ${UID:=`id | sed -e 's/uid=\([0-9]*\)(.*/\1/'`}

in .profile will set it for the Bourne shell (don't know/care about csh).

(darren)

--
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it
from religious conviction.