I just found this: http://www.devshed.com/Talk/Books/ProApache/page2.html

"On Windows platforms, Apache does not fork; consequently, the directives
for controlling the number of processes or their lifetime have no effect.
Instead, Apache runs as a multi-threaded process"

Recall that I am using: Apache/1.3.20 (Win32) mod_perl/1.25_01-dev
mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6a on Windows 2000 with PHP 4.21

Would this be why my scripts are working? Does this mean that as long as I
stay with windows I will be alright?

I realize (as Medi Montaseri pointed out) that my scripts might not be too
secure (ie. hijacking a telnet session) however I am only concerned about
getting this working, and making sure it will remain working, as it will be
run behind a firewall in a corporate intranet.

For now I will continue coding with my current architecture hoping that the
above mentioned information is correct.

Thanks for all the help!
Shawn