From: "Igor Sysoev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Can you show me URL with "Vary" and "Expires" that MSIE would cache.

You have this combination when you access my preview with your MSIE by
HTTP/1.1 with no proxy (it's still old version of
Apache::CompressClientFixup installed over there). The lifetime of local
cache is 5 minutes, defined by my Expires. Within this time the browser will
not even try to access the server when you try to reach the same URL.
Instead, it restarts the page from the local cache. It's important to point
out that all initial JavaScripts will be restarted indeed, so you can rotate
your advertisements and dynamic content when needed. The second important
point should be mentioned here: when you click the "Refresh" button, the
browser will reload the page from the server unconditionally. It's right,
because it is exactly what the end-user expects from the "Refresh" button.
It was tested several times on my commercial handlers. It works fine
anywhere (I mean no problem is reported to date). The only issue was
mentioned by our testers: the lifetime depends on time accuracy of client
side. If your local client's clock is running 1 hour back, the cached copy
of my preview will be alive 65 minutes on that machine...

> > speaking
> > >
> > > I mean that that you should not change any incoming header.
> >
> > ?! No comments.
>
> How can I log a real "Accept-Encoding" header if you unset it ?

There is more than one way to do this, using mod_perl.

Thanks,
Slava