Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:
> At 06:10 PM 7/16/02 +0000, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>> Arthur told me he either had, or was going to fix this (on IRC).
>>
>> Yup, Arthur is working on an external package (ex::threads::safecwd?)
>> which should solve this problem. Viva Arthur! I'll keep you updated
>> once it gets released.
>

> Check out Arthur's article on Perl.com:
>
>   http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/06/11/threads.html

I read the article ;) The article doesn't say that there is going to be
a module that will do all this work for you. I just wanted to share the
happy news that such a module is about to emerge.

Most of the people don't care how things are implemented, they just want
to know that the API they use is thread-safe, which is how it should be
with chdir() and friends.

Though you realize that that this wrapper will incur a certain overhead,
which needs to be benchmarked. And if that overhead is of any
significant value, we should provide a switch to turn if off for those
who don't rely on chdir() and therefore can get a better performance.
I'm talking mainly about the Registry family in this case, but I can see
that this functionality could be provided on the mod_perl core level
(PerlSafeCwd flag?).