Stas Bekman wrote:

> Jim Helm wrote:
> > Has anyone else had problems with this particular page under IE
> > (6.0.2600 under XP) being extremly slow to update when paging up/down?
> > It works fine under Mozilla, and it's not a memory or cpu issue (checked
> > with task manager already). And when I say slow, I mean a simple down
> > cursor causes the visible portion of the page to get painted in 4
> > noticble steps/chunks.
> >
> > An older version I tracked down with Google
> > (http://www.apache.jp/perl/guide/performance.html) which is also 300K+
> > doesn't have the same problem - just to show that it's not purely the
> > raw size of the page that is the problem.
> >
> > Just a little feedback for the new site (which is great, btw).  If it's
> > just me with the problem, I'll go find a rock to hide under. :)
>
> Is the size of the page causes the trouble? I don't have IE to try so
> hopefully someone will help us out here. What happens if you shorten the
> content of the page?
>
> My guess is that IE simply cannot cope with a long page and the current
> complex stylesheet (because as say it works fine with the same page and
> a simpler stylesheet, which includes no layout instructions).
> Suggestions on how to fix that are welcome.

IE 5.50.4807.2300 (SP2) on Win98SE

I had different problems - the first time I went to the page, IE crashed
my machine, so I had to reboot.

After I'd rebooted I went back to the page. I got the extremely slow
scrolling, but, more significantly, I got the second half of the page
overlaid on top of the first half.

I grabbed a copy of the page with Opera's 'save with images' option
(strangely enough doing it with IE, and viewing the result didn't get
the same display) and verified that the bug occurred with my local copy.

I then had a bit of a fiddle with the stylesheet, and discovered that
taking out the 'position: relative's seemed to stop the overlay,
improving IEs performance markedly without affecting the page layout in
any of the browsers I have installed (Netscape 4.79, Mozilla 2002053012,
Opera 6.04)

(There was no reason *why* taking out the 'position: relative's should
work - it just struck me as the first thing that wasn't necessary in the
style sheet. Possibly irritating an IE bug just a little too much)

Hope this helps,

Steve

--
Steve Piner