I did just this.  Unfortunatly, sendmail proved to be too slow, both in
command line piping (i.e. open(PROG,"| sendmail ....");), and via
socket connection to port 25 to be a viable solution for the volume of mail we
sent.

Last I checked, the code I wrote interfaced with Lyris, which was performing
ok.  When I left the project, they were looking into alternative approaches to
sending email.  Note that this was all legitimate (double opt-in) bulk email.

I have some code which is public.  Go grab SMTP-* from
http://bigrob.ath.cx/dist/.  These are a little better than the currently
existing Net:: modules.  I do a bit more logging and error checking.

At some point, those should be on CPAN if I can get the namespace approved.

:)

Good luck,
Rob