At 9:29 AM +0200 10/2/02, Sven Geisler wrote:
>Hi Alan,
>Hi Kee,
>
>I would say Kee is wrong.
>In our application, the development of which I am involved in, for a
>special case we need to write a cookie and redirect to another page.

Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.  I do know that I was
seeing inconsistent behavior with cookies not being saved in a
redirect page (mostly IE PC, but not 100% of the time), but I didn't
spend any time worrying about it because of the previous messages I
remembered.  A quick check of my mailbox shows a discussion back in
March where someone suggested using Refresh instead of Redirect to
get around the problem.  I recall previous discussions, but I don't
have any on file.

The typical case here is that the user goes to page a, you redirect
them to page b for authentication, they submit their password and the
password page then sets a cookie and sends them back to a.

It may be that the problem was a coding one rather than a browser
one. I just tore out the code and instead decided to internally
display page b without doing a a redirect.  So your URL is for a, but
the content is the login page (b).  On submit page sees a successful
login, sets the cookie, and displays itself.  EmpberlObject made this
trivial to do, and it ended up meaning less server roundtrips and
less code.

--

Kee Hinckley - Somewhere.Com, LLC
http://consulting.somewhere.com/