On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Anton Permyakov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to start process, which would get big amount of data from another
> server into my DataBase,
> and while it will do it, my browser should show me progress-bar on this data
> extraction.

> I have mod_perl based web-server, so, i should not use fork(), as explained
> in Mod_perl docs. But also i cannot invoke system(), as this proccess could
> take very long time.
> What i have to do?

I'm not sure that I understand what you want to do, however, have you
considered:

* writing a handler which would connect to a deamon which itself could
start the secondary process.

* The script running the secondary processes could update some datastore
which you could periodically read from to show progress.

* It might also be possible to use syscalls straight from your script to
get progress on your dataextraction - depending on what and how it is
being extracted.

* Meta-refresh the page every now and then to keep updating your progress
bar.

R.

--
Senior Programmer