Yes, I was using the stock RH perl.  I did try
recompiling 5.8.0 with debugging support, as you
suggested, with no luck.  I then tried recompiling
other versions of perl (like 5.8.0 RC2, RC1, 5.7.3),
with and without debugging support, also with no luck.

Finally, I just grabbed a 5.6.1 (since this all worked
on my other systems with 5.6.1) and put that on there.
 I compiled without debugging support (and just used
almost all the defaults), recompiled mod_perl and
Apache, and that seems to have done the trick.

I still don't know what the problem is, whether it's
with perl, Apache::DB, RH, me, my cat...  Anyway, I'll
have to use this workaround until I have more free
time.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

--kip