>Huh?
>It tells you EXACTLY what is wrong.

No, not really.

One reason is that it's not immediately clear (to me) which file can't be loaded.  Is
it Request.so or libapreq.so.1 that can't be loaded?  This ambiguity is further
blurred when you know both files are installed.

And of course the other reason is that if the solution to the problem was so obvious
from the error message, somebody would have posted a solution before I figured it out
(with help from you guys).

Searching the  mailing list archives indicates that method name resolution is not
exacly a new problem with mod_perl.  Just ask this guy =>
http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-users/2002-September.txt.  It's the exact same
problem with the exact same error message, only in different clothing (he's having
trouble with the Apache::Cookie object rather than the Apache::Request object).

In the interest of full disclosure, other possible solutions include resetting
/etc/ld.so.conf or the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to include more places to look for
shared object files (only recently figured this out).  But again, unless you're
somewhat experienced or have encountered this class of bug before, this won't
necessarily be the obvious place to look at first.

Anyway enough of my babbling.  Now that the answer is out there, hopefully it'll help
out the poor souls who run into this issue in the future.

Later,

DeAngelo