As many of you probably know, the call for participation in this year's Open Source Conference has gone out (http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2003/create/e_sess). I'm thinking about possible talks to submit and I want a little feedback on what people are most interested in. Here are two options I'mconsidering:

1) Database Objects in Perl

This talk would focus on the database mapping options for Perl, including modules like Tangram, Class::DBI, SPOPS, etc. It would examine the differences in features, ease of use, and performance and include a set of hand-coded classes using straight DBI for comparison.

2) The Perl Pet Store

This would be a discussion of porting the J2EE Pet Store reference application to Perl. It would cover Perl equivalents for various J2EE features, and talk about what was easier or harder to do in Perl. Because of the size of the Pet Store codebase and the complexity of the environment required to run it (multiple databases, etc.), it may not be possible to do a good performance benchmark. However comparisons on other fronts (amount of code, ease of maintenance, etc.) would be made.

What do you guys think?

- Perrin