I would want at least a real-time interface for this, something similar to

$filter->init(sub {shift->update_mtime($package_mtime)} );

where would you run this code?
outsite of a handler() subroutine, pretty much like I showed it - on module load. I suspect you'd have to register the init handler that way for a few reasons, namely that you'd miss the first request if you waited until after default_handler runs to register your init filter. it's also good to do it outside of handler() to handle stuff like reloads, where the init routine might use a closure to avoid recalculating the package mtime on each request.

I'm not sure what that means for actually getting at the filter object outside of a request :)

[snip]

if you come up with the interface, I'll write the tests to make sure it does what we need.

Cool.

Is there some C module that uses that hook so I can look at it? I guess somewhere in PHP, because I don't seem to see any in the core modules.
yeah, the bug report points to PHP. it also mentions mod_include, but I haven't looked at it yet.

I'll try to look into this a bit more next week.

--Geoff