David Dick wrote:

If I'm correct both Apache::PerlRun and Apache::Registry will have
problems in certain situations if we agree that ModPerl::Registry has
the correct logic for handling the execution status. If you can tell
otherwise please give me a test script that doesn't work under
ModPerl::Registry.

But in your particular example, Dick, if you configure the

I'm presuming that you simply mixed up which is my first name and surname? :) Usually dave is fine. :)
Oops, sorry Dave ;)

script to run under Apache::RegistryNG, does it work?

No.
So that confirms my suspicion that the problem in 1.0 implementation is that it unconditionally resets the status.

If not, that's where the difference between 1.0 and 2.0 lays: ModPerl::Registry doesn't reset status if it wasn't changed by the script.
well the ModPerl::Registry behaviour certainly suits my program. :)
Good, though I'm not sure how to proceed from here. 1.0's registry doesn't have a test suite and I'm afraid to break other people's code on the next release. So perhaps someone will take a good look at it, before we move on with this change.

In any case, you can subclass Apache::RegistryNG and override the handler() method to get things working for you now. or give a try to mp2.0.