Our sysadmin was attempting to disable a TransHandler for a virtual host using a directive that he used in the past. I wasn't aware of such a directive and was further stumped when I saw it :
PerlSetVar authsession false
He does not remember where he got this from but it seems to work. Any ideas as to why this would disable a TransHandler? Where does it come from and what mod_perl code uses it?
The only TransHandler on this site makes no references to using any configuration variables set this way.
I suppose you had PerlPostReadRequestHandler which was doing:

my $auth = $r->dir_config('authsession');
$r->set_handlers(PerlTransHandler => sub { return OK })
  if $auth eq 'false';

this is not a magic internal feature ;)
Nope, I wrote every handler being used on the system and there is nothing that uses the 'authsession' directive/variable.