--- Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It would be.  Frankly, there is no value to the kind
> of mutual exclusion
> that the Apache::Session locking provides in a
> typical web application.
>   If you use the null locker you will still get
> atomic updates, but you
> will have the possibility of someone opening up two
> browser windows,
> hitting submit in both, and having the last save
> overwrite the values
> from the first one, possibly losing some changes.
> In most web apps,
> that is not a big problem.

We talked about this, but in our case, I don't believe
this will be an issue.

> Note that this could become a problem if you use
> sessions incorrectly by
> putting tons of data in them.  Most of your data
> should have its own
> normalized tables and persistence code.  Sessions
> are for storing tiny
> little bits of data like the user's ID or some form
> data that from a
> multi-page form that hasn't been committed yet.

We put almost nothing in the session other than the
user id. There are three apps sharing the same session
table, and I believe one app may put two or three
other things other than the user id (like current page
id and affiliate id...both which I should be able to
remove someday:)...but never-the-less, very little
data in the session. I've gotten most of my sessioning
information from this list (and you), so I believe we
are session correctly :)

> If you look at the actual contents of
> Apache::Session::MySQL, you'll see
> that it's essentially just a config file.  There's
> no need to be
> concerned about using Flex, but you could easilly
> code up your own
> Apache::Session::MySQLNoLocks by changing a line in
> the current module.

That's what I figured and that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks again,
--
md