Trevor Phillips wrote:
[...]

Since your question is too broad to be able to easily pinpoint any problems without spending some time with it, I'd suggest reading:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/performance.html
if you haven't done that yet.

By the way, I don't understand your comment about how you developed with
FastCGI because it's easy to restart.  Is there something about mod_perl
that makes it hard to restart for you?  I always restart after every
code change since it takes me less than a second to do.

On a server where there are other developers working on it, if I restart the server, it can interrupt others working. In addition, if I stuff something up badly (such as a minor syntax error), it doesn't kill the whole server.

Have you heard of Apache::Reload. http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#Reloading_Modules_and_Required_Files

As a FastCGI, all I have to do to restart it is touch the main CGI file. I also have tighter control on the number of FastCGI processes, which is more useful for development.

Looks like you may need to do some docs reading. You can easily get a total control over the number of mod_perl processes. It's all described here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/performance.html