Hi there,

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Thus without re-compiling my whole Perl 5.8.0 build I need to come
> up with a solution.

I really don't see why you don't recompile your Perl.  It's not a big
deal and it's going to be a lot safer that way.

> Sorry for my ignorance but it does look like it will work (non-LFS
> Apache) provided that you don't try to access files larger then 2GB.

I can't tell you how much what you're proposing to do worries me.
I wouldn't dream of doing it on one of my servers, not even on a
development machine.

The size of the files you access isn't the issue.  It's the size of
the variables in the C data structures.  If different parts of the
same code disagree about that, and they pass each other pointers to
different shaped structures, you are going to have serious problems.

As Stas said, the *best* you can hope for is an immediate crash of
some sort.  It's possibile however that the problems might not surface
immediately and that the symptoms might not be obvious.  You could
have all kinds of data corruption before you know what's hit you.

73,
Ged.