Gedanken wrote:

I know this is not of much help, but I have had situations where a badly terminating process would prevent subsequent processes from using that port. on windows, i never found a solution other than to reboot. on solaris 7, i never found a solution other than to wait 8 minutes. I did some reading and found socket inet options to change how such programs bound thge port so as to allow others to use it in more friendly a fashion but such a change wasnt possible with the process in question.

The problem is resolved. Unbenownst to me - I need to investigate this - the Listen IP:port line in Apache had the wrong IP address. I really dont know how this happened. The number is so different yet syntactically correct to be a keystroke error.

Thanks everyone for pitching in. For one I can now use ' netstat' utility to check ports being used,. Thanks Ged!

I keep talking to my corporate IT people about open source , and they constantly ask me 'who will support it? what do they get out of it?' . I can not even begin to explain to them the 'connectedness' across the 'net. Should people always measure everything in terms of money?

Anyway, all this started from an attempt to access env. vars from legacy scripts running under registry. What is the easiest way to get env. var access without the accompanying performance penalty that mod_perl documentation talks about?

Regards