Thanks!

I guess that may be possible, but somewhat problematic since I like to
stay with the distros apache-version. Btw, I remember seeing something
about APR_HOOK_(LAST|FIRST|...) in the docs on perl.apache.org. Not
implemented yet?

I'm not sure what docs you're thinking about, but that change should be ok. I know that I'm using those constants in some XS and all is ok.

I think a lot of interesting password policies could be implemented if it was possible to run perl-code before and after existing authentication modules. Is it feasible to add this to the current mod_perl as a runtime option?

runtime is not likely to be possible. I'm considering a patch that would make the hook behavior configurable as a compile-time option, however - modperl_hooks.c is autogenerated during the config process, so it should be trivial to change the hook order without folks like you needing to patch the code yourself.

--Geoff