After some thinking time I decided to compile perl 5.8.0 on the older system
that did have 5.6.1.  It would seem it has nothing to do with perl 5.8.0.  I
compiled perl 5.8.0 on the older system and preloading worked just like it should.

Now I know that it does not have anything to do with perl or mod_perl but
rather the newer gcc and glibc on the newer system.

New system:
gcc-3.2.2
glibc-2.3.2

Old system
glibc-2.2.4
gcc-2.96

Has anyone else had problems with gcc-3.2.2 or glibc-2.3.2 and shared memory?
 Next I am going to try perl 5.8.1 snapshot to see what happens.

Aaron Thul
e-mol Development Team
http://www.e-mol.com/?layout=emol103

Sent through e-mol. E-mail, Anywhere, Anytime. http://www.e-mol.com