Perrin Harkins wrote:

I am fairly sure it is not perl5.8.

I'm fairly sure it is.  What is your locale set to?  Are you on Red
Hat?  See previous discussions of locale issues on Red Hat 8 and 9 in
the list archives.

Bart is on win32, AS Perl 5.8. I doubt it's a locale issue, since it's the client who decides what encoding the data is in, it's either CGI.pm (guessing that what he was using to parse the forms) or more low level (io) issues.

Bart, can you test whether you have the same problem when a run the same code under mod_cgi in Apache2 (with perl5.8 ofcourse)? If not, that will point the blaming finger towards mod_perl 2.0. Someone volunteers to add a new test? See

t/modperl/print_utf8.t
t/response/TestModperl/print_utf8.pm

for an example of testing the responding with utf8 data. You can probably adopt one of these couples for testing the posting of utf8 data:

t/apache/cgihandler.t
t/response/TestApache/cgihandler.pm

t/modules/cgi.t
t/response/TestModules/cgi.pm

t/modules/cgiupload.t
t/response/TestModules/cgiupload.pm

of course you will want to create a new couple of files for this test.