I knew it was a problem - but due to our set up of front end proxy / mod_perl then this wasn't an issue.. the mod_perl server handles the filter - and the front end proxy does the gzipping (we use Brocade Traffic Mangers and Apache in different places) - in most production environments this is the "usual" setup...