There are cases where Plack though isn't the solution and where mod_perl
written well is a far better (more stable) solution.

It is good when the backend servers are slow (simple not complex app); backend
requests are relatively fast, and don't use much memory.

But the warning

(1) If you have large numbers of small apps on a domain (a couple we have have
over 60 admin apps under a single domain) or a large single app code base - but
where many of the larger requests are hardly used; the ability to choose which
perl is cached in shared memory and which is loaded when required is much
simpler;
(2) Large code bases can also lead to very slow start-up times;
(3) If there are possibilities of large/slow requests - apache's dynamic nature
is better and handling these and then clearing memory - issues with each Plack
process keeping large amounts of memory and difficulty in culling/restarting
individual Plack children; then handling load efficiently across multiple
machines as the front end proxies - have difficulty handling load balancing in
this case;

Note I work on a number of projects where the data is relatively large (some
including many billions of rows of (closely related) entries)