We have hundreds of users polling our servers every few seconds just
waiting for events. In the near future, I'm going to have to do a refactor
to avoid users polling two different endpoints for different kinds of
events. The vast majority of the request in our access logs are polling
requests and they put significant load on our systems that I would prefer
to avoid. Additionally, web sockets aren't just for pushing content to the
browser. If you use them in the opposite direction, they improve
performance because you can avoid opening/closing a new connection and
because you can avoid the overhead of the HTTP protocol resulting in
shorter request times.

--
John Dunlap
*CTO | Lariat *