On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Terrence Brannon wrote:

> Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:02:26 -0500
> From: Terrence Brannon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Ken Y. Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: SQL translator module: DBIx:: or SQL::?
>

> On Thursday, February 28, 2002, at 03:23 PM, Ken Y. Clark wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I have the beginnings of something that might actually be CPAN-worthy:
> > a translator for converting one database's create syntax into
> > another's.  I had personal need to convert MySQL and Sybase to Oracle,
> > so I've got the basics of those worked out, and I'm trying to find a
> > nice way to produce XML.
> >
> > Currently, I'm using Parse::RecDescent to parse, and some general
> > purpose "print" code to produce the output.  I'm breaking it into
> > smaller modules (Parsers and Producers), with the idea being that any
> > Parser can be used with any Producer in the conversion process.  So,
> > if you wanted PostgreSQL-to-Oracle, you could just write the
> > PostgreSQL parser and use the existing Oracle producer, so half the
> > work would be done.
> >

> Would it be possible to use DBIx::Renderer as the basis for
> Producer syntax?
>
> It is setup to create CREATE statements in a SQL-independant way...

Terrance,

Interesting suggestion.  I'll have to take a look at that module.
BTW, I've picked up another developer, Darren Chamberlain (who's
basically done all the coding over the last few weeks) and we have a
Sourceforge project set up, complete with public CVS:

    http://sqlfairy.sourceforge.net/

If you'd like to peek at the code and suggest (more overtly :) how to
use DBIx::Renderer, we'd be interested to hear it.

ky