At 04:22 PM 8/4/02 +1000, Ken Williams wrote:
>>>What is the policy with regards to obsolete modules on CPAN?
>>>Would it make sense to upload a non-functioning, higher versioned dummy
>>>module?  E.g. a "threads::farm" version 0.02, telling you to use
>>>"Thread::Pool" instead?
>I think it's dangerous to upload a non-functioning replacement.
>If I were you I'd upload an identical replacement whose only change is the
>docs telling people it's now obsolete.  You can then delete the older
>versions from CPAN.
>
>You probably shouldn't ever delete *every* version of the old module,
>because then people won't be able to find the migration path.

I guess my case is the exception to the rule.  Most of these modules I'm
thinking about, only lived for a few weeks on CPAN and only function in
5.8.0.  So the chance of anybody using them right now is pretty slim.  They
actually have been removed from CPAN completely for several weeks now
already and I've heard no one complain.

So I guess I _will_ put non-functioning dummies in there now.  In all other
cases I will take your advice in just updating the documentation...

Thanks for the feedback...

Liz