On Jul 17, 2004, at 11:25 AM, David Wheeler wrote:
On Jul 16, 2004, at 7:48 PM, Randy W. Sims wrote:
I guess one other thing that needs to be considered is: allowing other modules to make use of this. I think one of the things we wanted to allow is for the actual package being installed to access some of the same functionality in order to allow/disallow some functionality. For example, some modules will run in an enhanced mode if a module is present.
Well, this is what recommends is for, no?
Not quite. There's a new mechanism in M::B (it's done in CVS already, you can take a look) called "features", which formalizes the concept of optional functionality that can be turned on or off. So even if a prerequisite module is installed, you don't necessarily have to use it (e.g. sometimes even though DBD::mysql is installed, I don't want to configure Alzabo to configure & test with it).
-Ken
