David Landgren wrote:
So again I ask, is there nobody doing text substitutions/macro expansions on pm files on their way from the source directory to the ./blib/lib directory? It seems to me to be a useful technique, and I am surprised that nobody (is/admits to) using it.

Yes, sort of, via a .PL file that generates the .pm in lib/ on the fly.

See Pod-Wikidoc on CPAN for an example: Pod_WikiDoc_Parser.pm.PL

It adds documentation, including a copy of the original grammar, onto a precompiled Parse::RecDescent parser. (And then later Pod::WikiDoc compiles the Pod from the .pm files to .pod files, but that's a separate action during distribution generation.)

Regards,
David