On Mar 2, 2007, at 4:45 PM, David Golden wrote:

For the META.yml spec, should anything not expressly allowed be forbidden?

No. Be liberal in what you accept and conservative in what you emit. Everything is hell for back/forward compatibility.

Personally, The best solution is to have an official policy for adding non-standard additions. "X-" is bad for reasons that many people have shared. I like the idea of a per-module special prefs area. To insure that collisions are impossible, how about a URI for the prefs wrapper like below (sorry, not sure if this is valid YAML)

  extensions:
    'http://search.cpan.org/dist/CPAN-Reporter/':
       cc_author: 0

That will enable the extension mechanism to work for non-Perl code too. To me, that feels a little like the "-moz-*" CSS extensions that Mozilla and others use.

=======

That said, the biggest drawback of this whole thing is that it's just one more piece of information that module authors need to think about when writing code. Writing a good CPAN module is already a fairly hefty task. I'm not saying there's an alternative, but really what we need is the module creator's equivalent of Perl Best Practices.

Chris

--
Chris Dolan, Equilibrious LLC, http://equilibrious.net/
Public key: http://chrisdolan.net/public.key