Salve J Nilsen wrote:
> - Set up some kind of syndication feed [RSS, Atom] [somewhere sensible]
> where one can read which distributions currently have a "pre-release"
> status. The feed might be called "NEED TESTING" or something like that.
> Make this feed visible on central Perl-related websites (Perlmonks,
> use.perl.org, etc.) and make it easy for Perl Monger groups to include
> this info on their websites.
>
> - Add some way for authors to state what the purpose of a module release
> is (e.g. "stable", "security update", "pre-release", "dev-release") and
> make this available in the distribution META.yml file.

I've been thinking about just that.  The CPAN shell could give a user friendly
description of how important an update is to the user.  It would also get rid
of the the nasty 1.23_45 alpha version convention.

One of the biggest barriers is its difficult and annoying to get the CPAN
shells to get alpha releases.  That's because there's only one index tracking
only the latest stable release.  You could instead have two parallel CPAN
indexes.  One would be just the latest stables, what 02modules is now.  One
would have the absolute latest release, even devs.  You could set your CPAN.pm
to pull from one or the other.

--
Whip me, beat me, make my code compatible with VMS!