The META.yml thing is nice but you can't make it required yet.

The recommended version of Perl for production use is 5.8.8.  The version of
ExtUtils::MakeMaker included in 5.8.8 distributions does not support the
license field.

Supporting it is nice, but you'll have to wait until 5.10 is more widely in
use before you can make it be required.

What you could do, however, is modify PAUSE to require the user to specify
the license there (as an HTML form thingy) when it isn't found in the
META.yml in the tarball.