Josh,

I participated in a previous thread on this topic, but I couldn't find it (maybe it was blog comments?) From memory, I think we concluded that, no, there was no formal spec and that it would be too painful to build one broad enough for everyone's taste. So, we dropped the idea. My own ad-hoc syntax looks like this example:

  http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/CDOLAN/Fuse-PDF-0.09/Changes

In retrospect, I may have gotten a little carried away with too much detail... For my own syntax, I wrote an author unit test that checks that all versions have a summary and a release date. I never got around to writing the test that ensured the .pm's current version number had an entry in the changelog.

Chris