# from Jeffrey
# on Saturday 20 March 2010 20:32:

>An obstacle for me was that Module::Build's actual behavior seems to
>contradict the documentation in Module::Build::API, which says of
>'build_requires' that
>
>"Modules listed in this section are necessary to build and install the
>given module, but are not necessary for regular usage of it."
>
>Read literally, that says that any module necessary for regular usage
>should never be listed under 'build_requires'.

Yes, they should be listed as 'requires'.

What actually happens is that M::B writes the prerequisites into
_build/prereqs (and MYMETA.yml), then prints some warnings about
whichever ones are missing.  After that, it's up to your cpan client.

Modules listed in 'requires' will be present at build time.  Modules
in 'build_requires' *may* not be present after installation.  I'm not
aware of any reason why it would be useful to list them in both.

Perhaps the meta spec is clearer about this?

  http://module-build.sourceforge.net/META-spec.html#build_requires

We welcome documentation patches in the RT queue.

Thanks,
Eric
--
software:  a hypothetical exercise which happens to compile.
    http://scratchcomputing.com