On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 03:50:49PM +0100, Tim Bunce wrote:

> * The need for widespread mirroring is less significant than it was in
> years past. (Also using git as the inter-mirror transport of source files
> means there'll be much less traffic between mirrors. Effectively only
> the diffs between releases.)

[Really really not relevant now, but somehow I still feel the urge to note it]

but *some* mirroring is still necessary. If a client assumes that the
master repository is up at all times, so that it can always pull from a
particular tag corresponding to a release, then that client is going fail
sooner or later.

Nicholas Clark