On Monday 09 August 2010 20:59:50 David Nicol wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Marco Neves [ModAuthors]
>
> <perl-module-auth...@knowhunter.cjb.net> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >        In need for a way to transfer a large amount of small
> > datastructures I created a module that stores and retrieves a stream of
> > storables in a file.
>
> I'm confused -- a stream can't be stored in a file, because it is
> continually generated.
>
> Also, what is different about this freezer/thawer that makes it
> superior to, for instance, YAML or compressed Data::Dumper dumps?
>
> That is, for what general class of use cases would one prefer the
> Neves data marshalling system to the available others?
>
> Also, if you're reusing other things in it -- you say "storables" are
> you doing something like prefixing length and colon to the output of
> Storable and jamming a bunch of those together? -- the underlying
> technology and then "stream" might make sense, especially if it can
> take an open handle instead of a file name in its constructor. Such a
> thing could be nice for creating an abstracted pipe between
> distributed processes for instance.

Hi,

        Yes, the module does store a lot of storables on a single file, and
yes,
it accepts an open handler as constructor.

        I written it to transfer large amounts of "small" data structures
between
servers.

        I'm thinking to use the name Archive::StorableStream for the module.
The
git repository is in:

        http://git.magick-source.net/perl5/storablestream

        Before you tell it, I know, none of the docs are still done.

mpn
--
Magick Source
http://www.magick-source.net