* Shlomi Fish <shlo...@shlomifish.org> [2011-07-29 13:25]:
> One reason I have not converted wholesale to metacpan is
> because it redirects all http:// requests to https:// . Very
> annoying.

http://www.imperialviolet.org/2010/06/25/overclocking-ssl.html

    In January this year (2010), Gmail switched to using HTTPS for
    everything by default. Previously it had been introduced as an
    option, but now all of our users use HTTPS to secure their email
    between their browsers and Google, all the time. In order to do
    this we had to deploy *no additional machines* and *no special
    hardware*. On our production frontend machines, SSL/TLS accounts
    for less than 1% of the CPU load, less than 10KB of memory per
    connection and less than 2% of network overhead. Many people
    believe that SSL takes a lot of CPU time and we hope the above
    numbers (public for the first time) will help to dispel that.

    If you stop reading now you only need to remember one thing:
    *SSL/TLS is not computationally expensive any more*.

    […]

    Also, don't forget that we recently deployed encrypted web search
    on https://encrypted.google.com. Switch your search engine!