On 11/21/2011 09:58 AM, Neil Bowers wrote:
Maybe instead of just this Covenant, we have a number of Ownership /
Maintenance statements, one of which is the one I proposed, but
another of which would something along the lines of:

This is my module, I don't want it handing over unless I've either
(a) bestowed (co-)maint using PAUSE (b) have explicitly given the
PAUSE admins permission to bestow it

Let's make this explicit statement opt-in. It bars us from ever touching the module if the author disappears.

And by default everyone could be tagged with this. Much as I might
wish that the default could be more open, there are clearly people
who are more aligned with the above, so that would have to be the

No. That would be a disaster. The default must be "The author has not spoken on this matter" and we must be very clear on whatever page lists the various statements that choosing the above is a very serious problem. Or don't offer this kind of choice at all. Nobody forces us to provide the authors with an EXPLICIT mechanism to shoot themselves and the whole community in the foot.

If in doubt, we follow the 04pause.html#takeover procedure which I'd summarize as "take care and respect the author".

(1) There are outstanding issues in the module's public bug
tracker (2) The requester wants to make worthwhile changes that
will benefit CPAN

Not even require an email to the author? Really?

Yes, I think that could be one of the ownership statements. I
recently took over a module where both previous maints clearly had no
interest, but it just took a long time to determine that fact :-)

Fair enough. Though I'd like to see an intermediate like "the above, but please do send a note to the author".

(c) a feature on PAUSE, where you can select the "ownership
status" or similar

This would be the place where you mark an author as endorser.

endorser?

Sorry, probably a language FAIL here. "The place where you mark an entire author as endorsing the covenant".

Cheers,
Steffen