Hi David,

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 00:16:56 -0700
David Christensen <dpchr...@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> On 04/23/2014 08:42 PM, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> > In case you are not reading blogs.perl.org,
> > brian d foy just sent out the regular spring cleaning call:
> > http://blogs.perl.org/users/brian_d_foy/2014/04/lets-delete-10000-files-from-cpan.html
>
>      "We're a month into spring and some of the world just celebrated
>      Earth Day, so it's time for the thousands of PAUSE authors to each
>      delete one old distribution ..."
>
>      "...not because there's any danger of running out of space, but
>      because it's fun to delete things and see them disappear."
>
> 1.  I doubt the people whose systems depend upon those disappearing CPAN
> distributions will find it to be fun.  That's not a nice thing to do to
> people, and it's going to create negative reactions for Perl, CPAN, and
> FOSS.

What brian d foy is proposing to do is to delete old versions of distributions
where new versions for these same distributions are already available and more
recommended. The deleted old versions are available in BackPan and on
http://metacpan.org/ , so people who wish to get them will still be able to.

> 2.  The problem with CPAN isn't 10,000 files that need to be deleted.
> The problem with CPAN is that it is a collection of programs of wildly
> varying quality, style, and technique.  This is the direct result of the
> CPAN development model.  What is needed is way to take the best results
> of TIMTOWTDI and unify them into a coherent "programming systems
> product" [1].  Has anyone seen an effective way to do this?

There's https://metacpan.org/release/Task-Kensho for that, but it may not solve
the whole problem. There are also various frameworks and systems on CPAN for
various tasks: Catalyst, Mojolicious, Dancer, PDL, Dist-Zilla, etc. What is
your vision for this coherent “programming systems product”?

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish