There exists a Perl interface to Hadoop. I can't look up right now, but i think
that was under Apache:: . AWS also offer Hadoop as a service with Perl and PHP
interface at least. Under AWS::Hadoop IIRC.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Fields, Christopher J" <cjfie...@illinois.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 13:47:26
To: John Macdonald<john.macdon...@oicr.on.ca>
Cc: James E Keenan<jk...@verizon.net>;
module-authors@perl.org<module-authors@perl.org>
Subject: Re: Top level name proposal - ComputeCluster

Yup, I agree.  I think Cluster is too generic and can mean a lot of things (I
think of cluster analysis myself).  Maybe something more distinctive?  Is it
application- or domain-specific (bioinformatics, etc)?

There are a few tools with similar functionality that come to mind.  Most of
them have catchy names; one written in Perl is Clusterflow (not on CPAN but
here: https://github.com/ewels/clusterflow/).  Another is the (completely
unmaintained, likely broken, but possibly useful for something) biopipe
project: https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-pipeline.  I have thought about
retooling the latter to be less reliant on bioperl and more a stand-alone tool.

There are a couple Java tools also: bpipe (https://code.google.com/p/bpipe/)
and nextflow (https://github.com/nextflow-io/nextflow).

And I agree with Alex; as you might guess based on my comment on biopipe, our
group would be very interested in helping out on this, even if it’s at simply
the testing phase (we run PBS/Torque locally).

chris