I have read the posts linked in your message.

> should I as a CPAN author/maintainer/adopter accommodate for people
> running old perl5s

It's your choice. You are in charge of the software, so you get to
decide. I'm certain that's how it's been generally handled in past, too.

Are you asking to establish a policy that applies to everyone? I don't
think that's viable.

Or do you want confirmation that you handled your particular case
correctly? I think you did fine by giving away PAUSE permissions.

----

It is completely okay

* to not accommodate people asking for older Perl compat.

* to not accept compat. patches for any or no reason

* to ask for payment adequate with the increased maint. burden

----

If you think that people asking for older Perl compat. is bothersome,
you can do some things so it does not happen so often. The first three
are easy to do.

1. Analyse the code with <http://p3rl.org/perlver>. If the minimum
explicit version is set and greater than the minimum syntax version,
change the explicit version. Put the resulting minimum version into the
meta files/Build.PL and document it that the number results from code
analysis.

2. If you bump the minimum version number, document the reason in the
changelog.

3. Use <http://p3rl.org/Syntax::Construct> and
<http://p3rl.org/feature> so that users of older Perls get nice error
messages.

4. Document your policy about older Perl compat. on your homepage (the
page requires a tracked version number and a publishing date) and link
to it from your distro's documentation. It can be a simple statement
what you generally intend to do when people ask for older Perl compat.,
and you could kindly ask the supplicants to evaluate the numerous other
avenues for dealing with their problem before contacting you: in-house
CPAN mirrors/distroprefs/patch queues, paying DrHyde for
<http://cpxxxan.barnyard.co.uk/>, Alt distros…

5. Use <http://p3rl.org/perlver> to find pieces of syntax and
preemptively change them to their 5.8 equivalent.