Hi,

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 09:33:59 +0100
Stephen Patterson <st...@patter.me.uk> wrote:

> Hi Shlomi
>
> It's been several years since I was last active in the Perl community, so
> take this with a good pinch of salt (I think 5.8 was new at the time) :)
>
> That being said, I remember each module having a dependencies file with the
> minimum compatible perl version for that version of the module, which can
> keep older versions of perl on older versions of your module.

yes, http://dzil.org/ should have provided that, but some end-users complained
that the specified minimum of 5.12.x was too high for them.

> I think we also need to consider the perl versions list
> http://www.cpan.org/src/ where 5.28 & 5.26002 are considered "in
> maintenance" & anything prior is considered "end of life". Do we have any
> visibility of which versions are most commonly in use at present?

There are some surveys, but they are voluntary and it is hard to know with the
darkpan.

> So I'd expect a perl module to work in current perl & a reasonable number
> of previous versions. Perhaps if the latest release fixes some major
> issues, it would be good to make it available a bit further back, but not
> all the way.

Yes.

> Kind regards
> Steve/SRPATT
>

> On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 9:39 PM Shlomi Fish <shlo...@shlomifish.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > This post is a little flamebait, so please try to keep the discussion
> > civil.
> >
> > Anyway, after reading the discussion in this public github issue, and
> > following
> > some of the links (especially
> >
> > https://szabgab.com/what-does--if-it-aint-broke-dont-fix-it--really-mean.html
> > ),
> > do you think I was being unreasonable, or should I as a CPAN
> > author/maintainer/adopter accommodate for people running old perl5s, in my
> > case
> > 5.10.x and below:
> >
> > https://github.com/shlomif/perl-XML-SemanticDiff/issues/3
> >
> > This reminds me of what chromatic wrote here -
> > https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2008/09/msg140206.html
> > :
> >
> > «
> > This is why we can't have nice things.
> > »
> >
> > Any comments or opinions? I think I'll relax by watching a nice and fun
> > video.
> >
> >         -- Shlomi
> >
> > --

Chuck Norris/etc. Facts - http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/

<rindolf> buu: do you have a functional spec? An architecture document? An
interface whitepaper? A developer’s guide? A user manual? A “The BL Book” and
“BL — The Program”?
<buu> rindolf: no, no, no no and no